Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Sour Cream Cutouts

Here is the recipe for Sour Cream cookies. A few readers have requested it :) Just to warn you it takes a while to frost all these cookies!


2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter,softened
1/2 cup veg shortening
5 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

makes about 10 dozen cookies (i cut the recipe in half!)

In large mixing bowl, combine sugar,sour cream, eggs, butter and shortening. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Add flour, baking soda and powder, vanilla and salt. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms. cover and chill 1-2 hours for until firm.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. on well-floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inches thickness. Using cookies cutters cut desired shapes into dough. Place shapes 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet ( i used my pampered chef stone). Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown. Let cool before frosting.

Decorator Frosting

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup veg shortening
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tblsp milk
food coloring

In large bowl combine butter, shortening and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until creamy. add sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating on low speed until well blended. Add milk. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in food coloring.
( i cut this recipe in half too)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks again! I can't wait to try it!

♥ Natalie said...

oooo... I needed a new frosting recipe - thanks! I realized that the last time I made my cookies, I left out the shortening - I think that is why the frosting wasn't as stiff as it normally is. THANK YOU for reminding me!! I can't wait to try your recipe. Yum-O!